Poltava Air Base
49°37′37″N 034°29′11″E / 49.62694°N 34.48639°E / 49.62694; 34.48639Coordinates: 49°37′37″N 034°29′11″E / 49.62694°N 34.48639°E / 49.62694; 34.48639
Poltava Air Base
Location of Poltava Air Base
Poltava Air Base (Ukrainian: Авіабаза «Полтава», Russian: Авиабаза «Полтава») is a military airfield located approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) northwest of Poltava, Ukraine. It is one of two airfields near Poltava, the other being Poltava Airport.
1.1 World War II
2 German Air Attack
2.1 Cold War
2.2 Poltava Museum of Long-Range Aviation
6 External links
World War II
German forces held Poltava from 1941 until September, 1943. The Luftwaffe maintained a regional headquarters at the airfield, and Adolf Hitler visited on one occasion. When the field was evacuated, the Germans placed 12 500-lb bombs connected to a distant, concealed HF-antenna under the main building. Nearby structures had been largely destroyed. The bomb was discovered when the base was put in use by the Soviet-American forces in spring 1944.
American and Soviet military personnel at Poltava Air Base during Operation Frantic
In February 1944, the field was provided to the United States Army Air Forces as a heavy bomber staging field, used by the Eighth and Fifteenth Air Forces for shuttle bombing missions (Operation Frantic). After an intense construction season with increasing American presence, the field was declared ready for U.S. bomber use at the end of May 1944. A high-level USAAF team led by General Frederick Anderson (accompanied by Colonel Elliott Roosevelt and others) inspected the base that month. The runways were Marsden steel matting imported from the United States, and the fuel depot was filled with high-octane aviation gasoline from the U.S. A Soviet fighter regiment and several support aircraft were stationed at the field.
Poltava was designated as USAAF Station 559 and became headquarters, Eastern Command, headed by General Alfred Kessler. Two smaller nearby U.S. fields, also along the Kiev r